Written in 1865 by Frederick Colvile, The Coleville Manuscript is a sketchbook come 19th Century journal of a trip around the coast and pastures of Redcar & Cleveland. The book held by Teesside Archives forms the root of an upcoming exhibition for Tees Valley Arts at their new gallery space in Redcar, The Redcar Palace.
Never seen by the public before, the archival document details first hand, leisure and labour in Redcar and includes over 90 illustrations detailing the traditions of foying, selling fish, donkey rides and seawater bathing. The Redcar Palace will play host to the loaned manuscript presented alongside artworks responding to Colevilleâ€™s observations as a holiday maker visiting the town. Featured artists and newly commissioned works include; oil pastel sketches by Redcar based Ross Lombardy. A collaboration between Redcar fishing family born writer Carmen Marcus and Saltburn by the Sea photographer Kev Howard. As well as, Whitby based ceramicist Aphra Oâ€™Connorâ€™s reinterpretation of the seaside, amongst many others.
Opening on October 15th at The Redcar Palace, in partnership with Teesside Archives, it will be the first time the book has been in Redcar since it was written over 150 years ago.
The wonderful doorway arch shaped like horseshoe can only be a Blacksmiths, built in 1858 as the inscription tells us and still used for that purpose into the 1960’s
John Turton was a physician to ‘mad’ George III, he bought the manor of Roxby but died in without children, the estate passed to the youngest son of Rev William Peters (chaplain to the Prince Regent) who assumed the Turton name and coat of arms.
When I first posted photos of Warren Moor back in 2008 it was a very risky place to visit, with two unprotected mine shafts. As part of the Heritage Lottery funded Land of Iron project, the area has been made much more friendly to visitors.
A Perambulation is the periodic marking of estate boundaries by the Lord of the Manor, also known as “Beating the bounds”, these events are known to have occurred around Guisborough in 1716, 1738, 1772, 1798 and 1816. It was a major local event with over 200 people on foot and horses taking part in 1716.
Robert Chaloner (RC) passed away in 1842, so the Perambulation of 27th June 1856 was the first by the new Lord of the Manor, Thomas Chalenor (TC) who seems to have taken the occasion to add his initials and the date to many local stones.
This carving is just a short distance north of Percy Rigg
It appears to be virtually identical to the lost boundary stone at Percy Rigg which was apparently destroyed in the 2nd World War.
The other side of the stone is much harder to decipher but the listed building record suggest H.R. and G.A. below the more obvious T