The Auxiliary Units were to be Britains own resistance should a German invasion have been successful.
Their existance was top secret and only acknowledged by the government in the 1990s.
Little remains of this local “OB” or Operational Base except a few depressions in the ground which become covered in wild garlic most of the year,
There is an excellent diagram by David Waller that lets you relate to what’s still visible.
Its most easily located by walking to the end of the promentary above where two stream meet.
Despite being on the same level as Cat Beck trial and only about 500m away getting to this one is a real challenge, it opens out below the edge of the cliffs, a climb down would be very risky and the climb from below is challenging and covered in brambles already, later in the year gardening gloves and very thick trousers would be in order.
The difficulty of access is reflected in there being only empty beercan in the drift (regulars of this sort of thing will know you cannot usually move for them)
The drift goes into the cliff before reaching a T-junction perhaps 25m in.
To the right there is fair bit of collapsed roof which quickly leads to what looks like a purposefully filled face, the abandonment plan for this mine show the major continuation of the mine back towards the inland shaft to be in this direction
Turning around and going back to the left at the T-junction there is a much longer section of drift, which has a slight dog-leg
It continues for about the same distance again after the dog-leg at which point there are some pretty large roof-falls after which the tunnel looks to come to an end (although I didn’t fancy climbing over as there were large cracks in the ceiling)
Here are a couple of photos from the entrance.
The entrance to the Cat Beck trial drift can be seen from the Cleveland Way.
Upon entering the drifts are flooded to above wellington height.
Heading to the North West is a small drift less than 10m long
Another drift of a similar length runs off West
A much more sizeable drift perhaps 40m runs off to the South West, although we were unable to explore due to the depth of water
The loading ramp for the Huntcliffe mine borders the railway line which still runs to Boulby Potash mine.
Just to the south of the ramp are the foundation of an engine house used for haulage.
The fanhouse itself is on the opposite side of the railway.
In the field on the landward side is a small area of collapsed tunnel which allows access to the base of the shaft inside the building.
Heres the same shaft seen from inside
A large void remains in the middle of the structure where the fan was once located.
In the bottom of the pit is a doorway and a view up the chimney.
However much time you spend here, its hard to escape the prying eyes.
The ferry ran from 1854 – 1952 to the now non-existant village of Middleton.
The last true ferry man Bull Boagey slipped on these steps in 1951, cracking his head which killed him.
Sandwell Gate is named after the long gone chalybeate spring on the beach. It was most likely built in the 14th Century.
It lead directly into Sandwell Chare and the Croft which were in-filled and demolished in the 1930s.
More details on the town walls here
Andy Capp creator Reg Smythe was born and died in Hartlepool and based the characters on his own parents.
The bronze statue was erected in 2007
The open air bathing pool opened in 1923, there a photo here, it was damaged beyond repair by the 1953 storms
The outline of the pool can still be seen on the shore at low tide.
The Royal Exchange was sadly lost to the A66 flyover in the 1980s.
The are some nice pictures of it on the Lost Teesside page
One small scrap of it remains outside the Corus Steel House offices near Redcar.