Alum production occurred at Kettleness from 1727 until 1871. This has radically altered the appearance of the area.
The original Alum house at beach level was destroyed by a huge landslide in 1829, what now appear to be cliffs are the face of the quarry where the sandstone over the shale has been removed.
The remains of the second alum house are on a flat area on the west side of the works, foundations remain and jet mines can be found under the platform which holds the building. The whole area is covered is loose blown shale where little grows.
The foundations of another building can be seen on the eastern edge of the site.
To the south of the building are a number of steeping pits which are slowly being lost over the cliff edge.
To the north of the steeping pits is the top of a cistern, again collapsing over the cliff edge.
There are a huge number of features around the site although they are often difficult to interpret due to being buried by the constantly shifting shale, they are however extensively covered in English Heritage survey AI/24/2003