In addition to a previous post here are some shots of the ceremonial Aberdeen granite foundation stones from 3rd August 1910
One laid by Alderman Joseph McLauchlan, the initiator of the scheme and Lieut. Colonel T. Gibson Poole the Mayor. The contractors Sir William Arrol were also involved in the Tay Bridge, Forth Bridge, Tower Bridge, Severn Bridge and Humber Bridge.
The £84,000 bridge was opened on 17 October 1911 by Prince Arthur of Connaught.
If Wikipedia is to be believed, the man seen falling from the bridge during the opening ceremony is Arthur Darwin, a relative of John “Seaton Canoe” Darwin.
This plaque just marks the location of the first Middlesbrough railway station, which had a passenger service as part of the Stockton to Darlington Railway . The original station itself no longer exists and was replaced in 1847.
Port Clarence just across the river already had a goods connection with the rival Clarence Railway in 1834
Another of the collection of boarded up attractive buildings in St Hildas, although allegedy it will be made-over (that report is two years old already)
The Customs House was built between 1835 -1837 (depending on your sources) and designed by George Burlison, it was initially the home of the Middlesbrough Exchange Association.
On 29th October 1838 it held a banquet in honour of the Duke of Sussex, who was the first royal visitor to Middlesbrough.
In 1853 the council bought the building and it became Corporation Hall before becoming the Customs House in 1886 when the newer town hall was built.
It also houses a plaque to William Fallows “The Father of Middlesbrough” who was the 6th Mayor of Middlesbrough and a major influence on the development of religious facilities, education and public works including baths and wash houses.
I found some old council meeting minutes from 2000 that proposed erecting a statue in his honour, does anyone know if it ever came to light ?
Update May 2012 :
The building has now been rennovated and looks very smart, however it still stands surrounded by tatty units and derelict houses.
Designed by William Lambie Moffatt and opened in 1846 the original town hall has been boarded up and neglected for years, but at least its not gone like everything else in the area. The new town hall was not completed until 1889.
It was here that Gladstone declared Middlesbrough “an infant hercules”. It also features in a 1959 painting by L S Lowry along with the demolished St Hildas Church
This 42 tonne slag ladle was designed by Ashmore, Benson and Pease in Darlington. It operated at the Bessamer plant close by.
It was placed at the Business Centre in 2004 after being in storage at Kirkleatham for many years.
Bolcklow house was design by W.H. Blessley in 1872 who was also the architect of the Eston Miners Hospital. The attractive front was added in 1885.
It later became a bank and the local chamber of commerce.
Henry Bolckow is acknowledged as one of the founding fathers of Middlesbrough, having been its first mayor. The statue by D.W.S.Stevenson dates from 1881 and was unveiled to a crowd of 65,000 by Lord Frederick Cavendish
His statue stands with its back to the flyover that caused the demolition of the Royal Exchange, although it is now near its original position having been in Albert Park between 1924 and 1986
Around Exchange Square are some other remnants of the former Royal Exchange building.
The Vulcan Street wall is a very impressive structure, hidden away in a neglected part of Middlesbrough, it dates from 1887 and is the southern wall of the Cleveland Salt Works, and also near the site of the 1841 Bolckow Vaughan Ironworks.
The wall bears a grand total of three commemorative plaques
Black Hill Cross stand by the road that used to be called Yarlesgate. The scheduled ancient monument entry says the base is medieval while the upright is more modern.
The upright has a notch in the top, where you often find a few pennies left.
A short ironstone trail can be seen just by the roadside in Fryup, it probably not much more than 10m in length.