Temenos Sculpture – Under Construction

The Anish Kapoor sculpture Temenos is nearing completion

 Temenos construction, Middlesbrough

Temenos construction, Middlesbrough Temenos construction, Middlesbrough 

A few facts a figures on the scupture.

  • Temenos is just under 50m high and almost 110m in length
  • The circular ring is 32m diameter and weighs 56 tonnes
  • The elliptical ring is 28m by 16m and weighs 24 tonnes
  • The mast is 45m tall and weighs 56 tonnes
  • Temenos will use 8200m (5.1 miles) of stainless steel cable weighing 20 tonnes
  • In total it will weigh 156 tonnes
  • Middlesbrough Dock Clock Tower / Water Tower

    The original tower was built by John Middleton in 1847, only three sides of the clock tower have a face because they were erected by subscription and its said the businesses on the blank side didn’t want their workers clockwatching.

    MIddlesbrough Docks Clock Tower MIddlesbrough Docks Clock Tower MIddlesbrough Docks Clock Tower

    After numerous redesigns of the docks, the current tower is said to date from around 1870, it doubled as a water tower to maintaining water pressure in the dock gates.

    Middlesbrough Players War Memorial

    At the beginning of the ‘Boro Brick Road’ outside the Riverside Stadium are a series of bricks to commemorate the 8 Middlesbrough players killed in both World Wars.

    Boro Brick Road, War Heroes  

    • Andrew Jackson died 1917
    • Henry Cook died 1917
    • Donald McLeod died 1917
    • Bobby Atherton died 1917
    • Archibald Wilson died 1918
    • Dick Wynn died 1919
    • David Murphy died 1944
    • Ralph Arran died 1944

    Their full stories can be read here

    Farndale / Blakey Ironstone Mines

    The Farnsdale mines operated between 1873 and 1897 under the Blakey Iron Company and later the Farndale Iron Company.

    An incline can be followed down to the location from the railway line up at Blakey Junction.

    Incline to Farndale Mine Incline to Farndale Mine

    At the bottom of the incline, a tramway ran along the hillside at the level of the ironstone

    Farndale Ironstone Mine Farndale Ironstone Mine

    Most of the remains are obscured by subsequent rock falls, but one small drift is still visible.

    Farndale Ironstone Mine  

     

    Grangetown Power Station

    I have marked the original location of the Grangetown Power Station built by the Cleveland and Durham Electric Company in 1906 which worked until 1937 and was finally demolished in 1969 to make way for the new steel plant. It was the first in the world to generate at 11,000 volts.

    Grangetown Power Station Date Stone 

    Grangetown Power Station Plaque  

    The current position of the date stone and plaque is elsewhere within the Corus site, so cannot be visited by the public.

    Slapewath Ironstone Mine

    The Slapewath mine was originally started by Thomas Charlton in 1864 via a drift near the village names after him. The shafts date from a later period of around 1880 when the mine was being operated by Samuelson & Co.

    The downcast shaft now surrounded by a high wall is 286 feet deep

    Slapewath Downcast Shaft 

    The upcast / ventilation shaft is located a little to the NW and is of similar depth.

    Slapewath Upcast Shaft 

    A sizeable heap of spoil is still on the site, which has been cut by a farm track

    Slapewath Spoil Heap Slapewath Spoil Heap