These furnace bases are some of the few remains left of the ironmasters district.
There is a disagreement between the notice board on site and a Cleveland Industrial Archaeology Report from 1979.
The CIAS report states Bernhard Samuelson built five furnaces known as the “old side” 1864 – 1867 and three more known as the “new side” in 1869 -1871. The notice board says the remains are the three ‘new side’ blast furnaces built in 1874.
The ironstone used here was mined in the Slapewath / Spa Wood area.
Ayton Monument was worked for 23 years between 1908 and 1931 by Pease and Partners, the site is now in regular use as a offroad bike circuit.
This beautifully carved stone dates from the building of the main hauler engine house.
An sirocco fan was installed to ventilate the mine in 1919, the date is still visible on the remains of the fanhouse.
At the top of the steep incline up to the site are the foundations of the braking drum.
At the base of the quarter mile long incline which provided a link to the railway is a intact electrical substation for the mine from around 1921.
The Hawker Demon was flown by 608 Squadron at Thornaby between 1937 and 1939. This propeller was rescued from a field in 1957 and passed via the Air Training Corps to the local council to be mounted in the library since 1969. It has recently been restored and remounted.
Thornaby Aerodrome was developed in 1930, although the area known as Foggins Field had been used for flying previously. The aerodrome closed in 1958 with the town of Thornaby being developed over the site. One small scrap of the runway remain and acts at the car park to the National Reserve & Patriotic Club