This stone marks the crash site of the Mosquito which crashed attempting to land at Thornaby Aerodrome at 11.00hrs on 11th of November 1943.
The crew of two were both killed, a Canadian pilot Alan J F Symes from Rockcliffe, Ontario and navigator Edward Lyon of Ormskirk, Lancanshire.
This windmill dates from the early 19th century and is also knows as Black Mill.
Despite now being in the middle of a housing estate, the mill was a ruin as late the 1990s and still contained threshing machinery
High Leven Mill dates from around 1750.
The windmill was converted to a house around 1966 -1968 (depending on your sources) and now operates as a B&B.
This set of workshops also sport a 1931 datestone
The large upper windows on this building show its wartime use for drying parachutes
The aerodrome armoury in Master Road stand out due to the bars over its windows which are not a modern addition, it also has a datestone from 1931
Once again on Martinet Road was the Drill Hall which is now a snooker club
These buildings on either side of Martinet Road housed the Airmens Barracks
The aerodrome NAFFI also stands on Martinet Road and has a date stone from its construction in 1931
The aerodrome station headquarters were housed in this building on Martinet Road.