ARP Shelter – Linthorpe Road

I have previously posted this photograph of the ARP (Air Raid Precautions) shelter sign that can be found between Linthorpe Road and the Dundas arcade.
Middlesbrough, Air Raid Shelter

I never personally got around to asking for a look in their basement and ‘Past Times’ has since closed making that currently impossible.
Fortunately for us all, professional photographer Andrew Davies got these excellent shots and has kindly given me permission to share them here.

There was a report in the Gazette in 2007, but they never gained access to get any photos, as the report point out this original shelter was for 367 people and would have covered the basements of numerous shops, although after the war it seems logical that they would have been seperated again so the remaining area is not the full size.

www.andrew-davies.com
Access was via a trapdoor behind the counter in the shop

www.andrew-davies.com
www.andrew-davies.com
www.andrew-davies.com
At the time the space was not in use by the shop above.

www.andrew-davies.com
On close inspection this sign mentions ‘Defence Regulation 23a’ this appears to tie in directly with an entry from Hansard from 23rd November 1939 which mentions that regulation being about the provision of air-raid shelters.

www.andrew-davies.com
www.andrew-davies.com
A few old boxes on a shelf, again no indication if they date from the basements use as a shelter or a later business.

www.andrew-davies.com
Local Dorman Long steel in the fabric of the building.

A recently published book ‘Defence of the UK – Middlebrough’ suggests the rear building was a clothing factory owned by Dorman Stewart the rainwear makers. The book goes on to list numerous other converted basements used as shelters even larger than this one.
The ‘New Emporium’ and ‘Green Market’ each had room for 700, while the shelter under J. Newhouses shop another 400.

Images supplied courtesy of North East wedding photographer Andrew Davies , www.andrew-davies.com

United Buses Ghostsign – Redcar

Travel by Road to York, Doncaster or London by United. Luxury coach services by day or night.
This sign apparently dates from the opening of the bus station in 1938.

United Ghostsign

United were formed in 1912 before becoming Tees & District in 1990 then eventually becoming the ubiquitous multi-national Arriva around 1998.

You can find thousands of photos of United buses in this dedicated Flickr group.

New Marske Institute – 1875

On the wall of its 1966 replacement can be found some original stonework from the New Marske Institute.
New Marske Institute 1875

The institute was built for the local ironstone miners by the Pease family, they were Quakers with a temperance policy, so no alcohol was available until 1925 after the mine closed.

It opened on August 5th 1876 and offered a reading room, library, billiard, smoking room and a Quoits pitch. Subscription was one shilling per quarter.

Some interesting photos of the original can be found on the Communigate site

Winkies Castle – Marske

Winkies Castle is a Half Cruck Longhouse dating from the 17th Century, the new plaque was unveiled on 7th April 2011
Marske - Winkies Castle
The house was saved from demolition by Jack Anderson the cobbler in 1968, opened by him as a museum in 1975 and finally bequeathed to the council with over 6,000 local artefacts on his death.
Marske - Winkies Castle
The house opened as a folk museum run by the Friends of Winkies Castle in 2005, its well worth a visit when its open during the summer months.
‘Winkie’ is said to be the name of Jacks cat and has been adopted as the logo of the museum.

Saltburn Cliff Hoist

Before its well known cliff lift, Saltburn had a cliff hoist between 1870 and 1883.
Saltburn Cliff Hoist
The wooden structure built by John Anderson of the Saltburn Improvement Company dropped people 120 feet to the pier level and must have been a pretty intimidating journey.

The new plaque to mark the location was unveiled by Councillor Vera Rider on Thursday July 28 2011.

Memorial Drinking Fountain, Easington

The fountain and troughs near the end of Grinkle Lane are a Grade II listed structure, although the sandstone is heavily eroded the 1873 date can still be seen although the rest of the wording is now difficult to read.
Easington Drinking Fountain
Easington Drinking Fountain

The initials “MGM” can be seen above the lions head, theres also “MLC”and “KLM” but there are heavily eroded now.
Easington Drinking Fountain
It was erected to the memory of Rev. Dr. Robert Morehead and Margaret his wife, by five sisters who were their grandaughters.

Rev. Dr. Morehead died at Easington Rectory on the 13th December 1842 aged 65. He produced much literary work, some of which can be found on Google Books He was born in Scotland as the 3rd laird of Herbertshire on 19 March 1777. Attended Balliol College at Oxford and became the Dean of Edinburgh. He married Margaret Wilson on 27 November 1804 and they had four sons: William Ambrose, Charles, Robert Archibald Alison, and George Jeffrey.

Bent Rigg Coastguard Lookout

When built in 1935 this was designated as an Auxiliary Coastguard Watch Station
Bent Rigg Coastguard Lookout
Between 1939 and 1945 it became a War Watch station, insulators on the rear of the building indicate its telephone connection to the adjacent Radar Station.
The building remained in use by the coastguard until 1972 and was rennovated in 1999 as part of the Heritage Coast Project.
Bent Rigg Coastguard Lookout
Bent Rigg Coastguard Lookout

It still commands excellent views over the coast.

Ravenscar Radar Station

The radar station was constructed in 1941 as part of the Coastal Defence/Chain Home Low early warning system. It was designated site M47 and the original radar was mounted on top of the semi-circular transmitter and receiving hut as shown in the illustration.
a Ravenscar Radar Station
Ravenscar Radar Station
The site was later upgraded to be part of the Chain Home Extra Low system and was redesignated K47, with a new Transmitter and Receiving block.
Ravenscar Radar Station
There are two smaller buildings, one of which housed a generator and the other a fuel store.
Ravenscar Radar Station
At the other end of the field near the old railway, the bases of several accommodation blocks can be see, but none of the structure remains.
Ravenscar Radar Station