The fountain and troughs near the end of Grinkle Lane are a Grade II listed structure, although the sandstone is heavily eroded the 1873 date can still be seen although the rest of the wording is now difficult to read.
The initials “MGM” can be seen above the lions head, theres also “MLC”and “KLM” but there are heavily eroded now.
It was erected to the memory of Rev. Dr. Robert Morehead and Margaret his wife, by five sisters who were their grandaughters.
Rev. Dr. Morehead died at Easington Rectory on the 13th December 1842 aged 65. He produced much literary work, some of which can be found on Google Books He was born in Scotland as the 3rd laird of Herbertshire on 19 March 1777. Attended Balliol College at Oxford and became the Dean of Edinburgh. He married Margaret Wilson on 27 November 1804 and they had four sons: William Ambrose, Charles, Robert Archibald Alison, and George Jeffrey.