This mill is said to date from 1858, and unusually stands in a disused state rather than having been converted into a house.
I know Ravenscar is actually 30 miles from the Tees, but the site shall be taking a short holiday there for the next few days.
Very little information exists on the Saltburn Alum works which operated 1670-1695 and 1765-1775.
The semi-circular sandstone structure with a water-tight clay lining that is currently eroding out of the cliff strongly resembles a cistern for alum liquor such as those seen at well known alum working sites such as Boulby and Loftus.
Much timber and brickwork is also present, suggesting there was a building adjacent and perhaps even steeping pits.
The site is gradually being destroyed by erosion as a central wooden post was originally visible in the cistern.
Update 2013 : Sadly the remains of the stone cistern were completely destroyed by the storm surge on 5th December 2013 (photo by Simon Chapman)
This memorial is considerably more elaborate than most in the area.
The panel is carved by Sir William Reynold-Stephens
The memorial was unveiled by Major General Sir Percy Wilkinson on 14th November 1920, it was comissioned by Mr and Mrs Littleboy parents of Wilfred E Littleboy, who was killed at Ypres.
Between 1906 and 1937 the sands between Saltburn and Marske were used for speed record attempts.
Sir Malcolm Campbell recorded 138.08mph on 17th June 1922 in Sunbeam (although this was not recognised offically as electronic timers were not used)
The plaque say he reached 144.32mph in 1924, (at this time the record seems to have been beaten on a weekly basis)
On two wheels Ron Storey recorded 122.91mph in 1928 on a Brough Superior SS100
The plaque was unveiled in October 2011 by Desmond Heckle, one times holder of motorcycle speed record.
This metal pin is another part of the extensive network on anti-landing measures around Greatham Creek.
It was the mounting point for a Spigot Mortar or Blacker Bombard which would have been able to fire a 20lb anti-tank explosive approximately 100 yards, presumably at any invading force on the nearby bridge.
The original bridge which has since been replaced, was itself mined to allow its total destruction
This water wheel dates from around 1850 and was part of Fidlers Mill, which was only demolished as recently as 1983.
The actual location of mill was under the co-op car park, and its thought a mill existed on that site since the times of the Domesday book.