The Almshouses at Kirkleatham were founded in 1676
The bastions are a later addition thought to date from around 1820.
They are very similar in style to others in the area. One bastion originally housed a laundry and the other was a storage area.
Calton station opened in 1836 on the Clarence Railway, after various mergers it became part of the London and North Eastern Railway and was renamed Redmarshall Station in 1923.
Two set of tracks existed here, with an early example of electrification taking place in 1915 for coal traffic on the line, two pair of lines passed under the bridge with the left-side being electrified, this portal is now filled and the track lifted.
Perhaps this old insulator still on the bridge could be part of that system ?
The LNER removed the electrification in 1935, however the guard rails on this side of the bridge still remain, giving extra protection that’s not included on the non-electric side.
The passenger station itself closed on 31st March 1952
At first glance this sculpture by Colin Wilbourne is merely some giant kitchen utensils, but there’s actually a lot more going on here. The holes in the handles of the two spoons point to the pole star Polaris.
There are also observations to be made with the shadows of various items on equinox and solstice
I’m currently unsure if they were the stables for any building in particular, the New Inn around the corner had closed by then according to the plaque.
The only structure of note on the 1894 map seems to be the coastguard station, hence the name Rocket Terrace as it was manned by the Rocket Brigade
The station at Thorpe Thewles closed to passenger traffic on 2nd November 1931, the station remained open for goods but that too ended on 2nd April 1951. The line itself struggled on until 1968.
In May 1982 the line reopened as the Castle Eden Walkway although this area is now known as the Wynyard Woodland Park
There are several benches, including one dedicated to the station master Alfred Anderson, the station itself is a gift shop and tea room.
The observatory was opened by Sir Arnold Wolfendale on 9th February 1994. It currently contains a 19-inch reflector telescope. There’s also a planetarium nearby
Its regularly used by the Cleveland and Darlington Astronomical Society and public meets happen on the first and third Friday of the month, September to April.
The 1877/78 Thorpe Thewles viaduct was demolished spectacularly in 1979
This stone outside the village is part of the structure.
At the top of an embankment overlooking the village are a few scant remains of the viaduct
St James Church was built in 1886-7 on the site of the short lived Holy Trinity Church of 1848
The font outside is originally from St. Thomas a Becket’s church in Grindon.