Trunk Road / Steel House Lake Flooding, Redcar

Following the extensive flooding in the area on Monday 26th November, the area around Steel House on the Trunk Road remains flooded and closed two days later.
Here’s a shot of the lake outside Steel House which threathen to break its banks, although luckily it didn’t
Steel House (nearly flooded)
The lake empties into the Fleet and then to the Tees at Dabholm Gut, it also predate the building of Steel House and Dormanstown as it appear on earlier maps in West Coatham Marsh (so its perhaps not surprising to find its now flooding).

Theres also a now non-existant area marked as Wiley Bridge and some cottages which is where the stream that feeds the lake passes under West Coatham Lane (now Broadway) so pretty much under the now closed Dewhirsts Factory.

Carlin How Working Mens Club and Insititute

As most of Teesside is currently under water, i’ll have to find something in my archives.
Carlin How, Working Mens Club 1910
Carlin Hows Working mens club dates from 1910 which is recorded on the plaque outside.
Carlin How, Working Mens Club 1910
Apart from a modern addition on the left, its pretty much unchanged from when it was constructed.
Images from near its construction, 50th Jubilee Year and old interior can be found on the East Cleveland Image Archive

Pybus Brothers, Roman Road, Middlesbrough

Pybus Brothers were a chain of grocers based in Middlesbrough, the brothers were Thomas and William who setup the firm around 1900. They were known for roasting their own coffee and blending their own tea bags.
Pybus Brothers. Middlesbrough
Pybus Brothers had 13 branches across the area, mainly in Middlesbrough but also in Redcar, Saltburn and Norton. They were bought out by Newsfare in 1973.

The shop can just be made out on the extreme right of this old photo.
Pybus Brothers

Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, More Work

Myself and other members of the Cleveland Mining Heritage Society also cleared the location of the early Cookes ventilator where we removed undergrowth from the masonery.
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, Skinningrove
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum Work Day,
As a reward for helping out, we were allowed to look into the drift which is not open to the public.Inside is a hole in the wall which was opened when the museum was first developed, this leads over a flooded shaft. This would have been blocked then ventilation moved to other machinery.
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, Skinningrove
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum Work Day,
A second short shaft also goes upwards, into the back of the mine recreation part of the museum.
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum Work Day,
There also a small bypass tunnel, to get you past the machinery when it was in use.
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum Work Day,

Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, Work Day

Several difficult to access areas of museum have become overgrown, so myself and some friends volunteered to help. The main area looked at was the Waddle Fan pit which was full of moss and rubbish.
Waddle Fan, Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, Skinningrove
Several members of our group descended into the pit to remove the debris
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum Work Day,
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum Work Day,
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum Work Day,
By the end of the day the pit was scrubbed clean and good for another few years.
Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum Work Day,

Marquess of Zetland Plaque, Laburnum Road, Redcar

This sign is fixed to a bungalow on Laburnum Road, Redcar and reads:-

These cottages were erected as a tribute from the community to the Marquess of Zetland. June 1931
Marquis of Zetland, Laburnum Road, Redcar
Lawrence Dundas, 1st Marquess of Zetland was a local landowner and politician who died on 11th March 1929. His wife was Lady Lilian Zetland and theres a matching plaque to her a few doors away, although on a cottage built two years later.
Lilian Zetland, Laburnum Road, Redcar
These cottages were erected as a tribute from the community to Lilian Zetland. July 1933

Robert McClean Plaque, Laburnum Road, Redcar

This sign on a bungalow near East Halt station reads :-

Erected in grateful memory of Robert McClean Esq. J.P. Barrister-at-law, Redcars first town clerk. By the corporation of Redcar and by the spontaneous gifts of the admirers of his worth. July 1936

Robert McClean, Laburnum Road, Redcar

His obituary reads :-

Mr. ROBERT MCCLEAN, town clerk of Redcar, died on Thursday of last week (6th September 1934) at the age of 53. He was the pioneer of a scheme started at Redcar in 1921, whereby men forced to seek poor law relief were given an opportunity of doing useful work for the money granted. He endeavoured to secure provision in the new Unemployment Bill for some such scheme, which he held had enabled more than 2,500 men in recent years to work their way back from poor law relief to national insurability