The 690m long, 43 arch, Yarm Viaduct was built at a cost of £44,500 between 1848 and its official opening on 15th May 1852.
It contains over 7.5 millions brick and was built to extend the Leeds and Thirsk Railway from Northallerton to Stockton and Hartlepool when it became known as the Leeds Northern Railway.
The carved plaque records the Engineers Thomas Grainger and John Bourne.
Superintendent Joseph Dixon
Contractors Trowsdale, Jackson and Garbutt. 1849