The original Five Lamps were gas lights built at the junction of George Street and Mandale Road in 1874, comissioned by local Justices of the Peace, Joseph Richardson, William Whitewell, Charles Arthur Head and William Anderson.
In 1983 Head Wrightson apprentices erected this replica of the original which stood on Westbury Street due to the building of the A66 (although it doesn’t include the drinking fountain originally below the lamps)
It was unveiled by Mayor Pragnell on 1st September 1983
It was renovated and moved to its current position in 2010.
The origin of the five lamps is linked to the legend that Robert de Thormodbi (Thornaby) created a shrine to the Virgin Mary in St Peter’s Church lit by five lamps.