Current Mining Investigations in Skinningrove – Sunday 14th July 2013 14:00-16:00

Join Simon Chapman, amateur industrial archaeologist, for an exploration of the original mine buildings and structures at what is now the Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum and a tour of the nearby excavation of North Loftus Fan House. Simon, Secretary of the Cleveland Mining Heritage Society, is well known for his publications on the archaeology of the local area and accurate accounts detailing changes in the ironstone mining industry.

http://www.archaeologyfestival.org.uk/events/660

Fossils and Fortunes at Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum

Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum in Skinningrove is holding a heritage day event ‘Fossils and Fortunes’ at the Museum on Saturday 6th July 2013. Talks will include Ages Past, Plant Fossils at Marske Quarry, Alum Folk, Ironstone, Maps and Museums- William Smith, the Rotunda Museum and the Geology of the Yorkshire Coast and Protecting your Earth Heritage. Speakers include locally based specialists including Denis Golding of TVRIGS, Mike Windle (NE Yorkshire Geology Trust), Will Watts (Scarborough Museums Trust), John Waring (TVRIGS), Peter Appleton (Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum) and Andy Cooper (TVRIGS). All welcome, but spaces limited booking required.
No formal charge, donations will be invited from the audience.
To book or for further information please contact Jean Banwell to book on 01287 642877 or by email jean@ironstonemuseum.co.uk . Sandwich lunches can be ordered in advance.

Saltburn Friends Meeting House 1887

This building is currently occupied by the Saltburn Evangelical Church, although it’s 1887 date stone show its earlier incarnation as the Friends Meeting House.
Friends Meeting House Saltburn 1887
It makes sense there would be a Quaker presence in Saltburn due to the influence of Henry Pease. Quaker worship started in Saltburn during 1869, an Allowed Meeting was created in 1873. It became a full Preparative Meeting in 1885 two year before this building, the Meeting closed in 1914.
Friends Meeting House Saltburn 1887
The meeting house actually pre-dated the building of Leven Road as that doesnt exist on early maps.
friends

Staithes Railway Viaduct

The bridge to carry the Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway over the valley at Staithes was originally built in 1875 but didn’t open to traffic until 1883. Extra braces were added in light of the Tay Bridge disaster in 1879.
staithes

A bell was installed on the bridge to warn of high winds when trains could not cross.
The viaduct was demolished in 1960 following the closure of the line, the northern abutment can still be seen.
Bridge Remains, Cow Bar to Staithes

Staithes Viaduct

Lingdale Cycling Memorial

This recently erected sculpture and information board commissioned by Lingdale Lift Off Community Group records the cycling heritage of Lingdale.
Lingdale Cycling Memorial

Lingdale Cycling Memorial
Lingdale Cycling Club had its own cycling track in the late 1800s as shown on this map, although the original was covered by the shales waste from the ironstone mine.
track1

It was then relocated to the south of the mine site as shown on early 1900s maps.
track2