Robin Hood and Little John Inn Sign, Castleton

The sign for the Robin Hood and Little John Inn is now virtually lost.
Robin Hood and Little John Pub, Castleton
The building itself can be dated to 1671 and local folklore states that Robin Hood and Little John met here for the last time. The sign was still freshly painted in this1955 Francs Frith photo..
1955

There are many local references to the famous outlaws such as ‘Robin Hoods Bay’ and the ‘Robin Hood’s Close and Little John’s Close‘ marker stones near Whitby

Robinson Institute, Glaisdale

Information from the Robinson Institute Website :-

Thomas Alexander Robinson (1830 – 1912) Originally from Houghton le Spring, Co. Durham, Thomas Robinson was the son of a blacksmith. He worked as a clerk to a coalmine company owner, a role which took him to Europe where he saw an opportunity to import cheap fresh eggs to England to feed the growing masses in the industrial towns of the 1860s. Later he set up a shipping company in West Hartlepool, which moved to the deeper port of Hull around 1901 and was known as Thomas Robinson & Sons Co. Ltd.
Robinson Institute, Glaisdale
The plaque reads :-
The Robinson Institute, Presented to the people of Glaisdale by the late Thos. Robinson Esq J.P. (The Gables) To Commemorate the Coronation of King George V. 1911
Robinson Institute, Glaisdale

Quaker Burial Ground, High Castleton

A small wooden gate at the roadside leads to an old Quaker cemetery.
Quaker Graves, Castleton
The area is fairly large, but perhaps only a third currently has any head stones, property was owned in the area as early as 1658 although the ‘Castleton Meeting’ formed in 1719 and ran until 1924.
Quaker Graves, Castleton
Although generally omitted from modern maps, ‘Friends Burial Grounds’ always used to be marked as this 1913 example shows.
1913

Underground course of West Dyke, Redcar

West Dyke currently goes underground at the edge of the A174, an area now prone to flooding. An open stream is shown here on 1970s maps and until recently the top of Oxgang Bridge was still visible at the edge of Plantation Road, although the parapets have since been removed.
Lost Bridge, Redcar
A footpath which follows the course of the steam runs from Plantation Road all the way down the side of the racecouse, this is shown as an open stream on 1950s maps before the construction of West Dyke Road and Lakes estate. Being pushed underground around Greystoke Road by the 1970s

A sharp westerly turn is taken at  the end of Thrush Road, and in the 1930s it came back to surface alongside Corporation Road, this area must have been culverted when Sandringham/Buckingham Roads were built.
1930s
The stream can then be seen going back south and under Corporation Road, amazingly the concrete parapet for this old bridge still exists despite the College having been built over the site in the 1960s when that stretch was most likely culverted too
West Dyke, Redcar
The 1950s map  shows an open stream going under Corporation Road and behind the houses on the south side before going into Locke Park1950s

The water re-emerges in Locke Park with an identical concrete bridge to the one on Corporation Road, so they most likely both date from the opening of the park in 1929.
West Dyke, Redcar

Virtually the full length of the culvert remains under footpaths, presumably in case of collapse.