Show on map
Metallurgist John Edward Stead bequeathed his home ‘Everdon’ to Redcar Borough Council in 1923 and it opened as the Stead Memorial Hospital on 26th July 1929 (plaque is dated 1928)
It was extended and altered over the years, but the original house was still visible.
The plaque below marked wards added in 1954 and opened by the Bishop of Whitby, Rev W H Baddeley
A further refurbishment opened in June 1991
It closed in 2010 when a new hospital was built and was demolished 2013
The staircase is currently for sale from an architectural salvage company