For many years Hanging Stone was obscured by trees and upon finding it in the wood there was no view to be seen.
Now the trees have been felled, the view has been restored.
The actual name of the area of land is Ryston Nab, but everyone knows it as Hanging Stone
The wave was constructed from local sea glass by Stuart Langley for the 2015 Lumiere Festival in Durham.
The frame was constructed by MIDS, who’s premises it now stands outside.
The bottom is well buried in a hedge, so no chance of finding a makers mark.
The top however looks to be in very good condition with a decorative ‘crown’ still in place
The Picton to Battersby Line was constructed 1857/1858 running via Stokesley
Passenger services ended in 1954 with freight continuing between Stokesley and Battersby until 1965.
Presumably it was 12 miles from this point to Picton Junction.