Skelton History Group
Tuesday 24th April – Selby Hagg and Saltburn alum works
Distance: 4 miles; Ascent 490ft; Duration 3-3½ hours Meet at 10:30am in Cat Nab car park (NZ 668 215). This is a pay-and-display car park, so have plenty of change with you. This out and back route will take us up Saltburn Gill to the site of Selby Hagg alum works. From there, as we retrace our steps through the Gill, we will be following the route taken by the alum liquor as it made its way to the alum house at Saltburn. Although mostly on level ground, there are two or three steep ascents/descents (inevitable given the narrow, wooded gorges in our area).
The pace of the walks is leisurely, with regular stops to admire the view (especially when going uphill!) and to hear about the heritage around us.
A charge of £2 per person will be made on each walk to offset the costs of Insurance. Please wear appropriate footwear and have clothing suitable for the likely weather conditions on that day. It is suggested that you bring food and drink as we usually stop between midday and 1:00pm for a lunch break.
Further details can be had from: email@example.com or by contacting Peter Appleton (Tel: 01287 281752)
This mosaic was installed in September 2017 as part of the Skelton Townscape Heritage Project
It was researched, designed and produced by the combined efforts of Skelton Villages Civic Pride, Redcar & Cleveland Council’s Community Development staff, the Skelton History Group, pupils at Skelton Primary School and Community artists Helen Jane Gaunt and Derek Mosey.
Skelton Through The Ages 1086 – 2017
- 1086: The Domesday Book records the manor of Skelton
- Arms of de Brus: Robert de Brus built the first castle in 12th Century
- Skelton Castle: building the present castle began in 1788
- Medieval agriculture: farming was an important part of village life for centuries
- The old Parish Church: built 1785/86 on the foundations of the 13th Century church
- A miner and his lamp: the ironstone mining boom in Skelton began in the 1860s
- The High Street and a new Parish Church followed in the 1870s and 1880s
- A Cleveland Bay horse, England’s oldest breed, pulling a milk cart
- A Swift flying overhead: their screams are a typical sound of summer
- The War Memorial: commemorating the dead of two World Wars
- The Cleveland Way: opened in May 1969
- The Whipping Post: public punishment on the village green
- Ringrose Community Orchard: a new development, the heritage of the future
- Children dance round the Maypole in front of the old Infants’ School
- A sword dancer performing the Long Sword dance
- 2017 – Planted tubs and a new tree reflect the latest changes