Skelton Community Mosaic

Geotag Icon Show on map

This mosaic was installed in September 2017 as part of the Skelton Townscape Heritage Project 

It was researched, designed and produced by the combined efforts of Skelton Villages Civic Pride, Redcar & Cleveland Council’s Community Development staff, the Skelton History Group, pupils at Skelton Primary School and Community artists Helen Jane Gaunt and Derek Mosey.

Skelton Through The Ages 1086 – 2017

      • 1086: The Domesday Book records the manor of Skelton
      • Arms of de Brus: Robert de Brus built the first castle in 12th Century
      • Skelton Castle: building the present castle began in 1788
      • Medieval agriculture: farming was an important part of village life for centuries
      • The old Parish Church: built 1785/86 on the foundations of the 13th Century church
      • A miner and his lamp: the ironstone mining boom in Skelton began in the 1860s

    Skelton Mosaic

    • The High Street and a new Parish Church followed in the 1870s and 1880s
    • A Cleveland Bay horse, England’s oldest breed, pulling a milk cart
    • A Swift flying overhead: their screams are a typical sound of summer
    • The War Memorial: commemorating the dead of two World Wars
    • The Cleveland Way: opened in May 1969
    • The Whipping Post: public punishment on the village green

    Skelton Mosaic

    • Ringrose Community Orchard: a new development, the heritage of the future
    • Children dance round the Maypole in front of the old Infants’ School
    • A sword dancer performing the Long Sword dance
    • 2017 – Planted tubs and a new tree reflect the latest changes

    Skelton Mosaic

Leave a Reply