Stafford Place Methodist Chapel, Sun Street, Thornaby

Geotag Icon Show on map

The Stafford Place Methodist Chapel appears to have operated between 1911 and 1965 and had a seating capacity of 300. It cost £800 to build and replaced an 1833 building.

Stafford Place Methodist Chapel, Sun Street, Thornaby

This foundation stone was laid by Charles Arthur Head Esq, Mayor, May 25th 1911. One of the directors of Head, Wrightson, and Co.

Stafford Place Methodist Chapel, Sun Street, Thornaby

The second foundation stone has been badly eroded with only the 1911 at the end visible.

Stafford Place Methodist Chapel, Sun Street, Thornaby

The stone was laid by the Walker family of Scarborough who made a sizeable contribution. Their link is Ambrose Walker who puchase the nearby pottery in
September 1878.

Commondale Brickworks Railway Bridge with Masons Marks

Geotag Icon Show on map

A short branch ran north from Commondale railway station to connect the brickworks to the main railway line.

Commondale Bridge

The brickworks was opened in 1861 by Stokesley printer John Pratt, before passing into the hands of the Crossley family in 1873, who operated it until 1947.

Commondale Bridge

The bridge abutments still stand although the deck of the bridge is gone. The stonework is covered in a number of different masons marks

Commondale Bridge