A 4-storey corn mill built in the 18th century. Completely restored in 1990s, with an 18-ft pitchback waterwheel, three pairs of stones and a full set of ancillary machinery. Fully operational, producing flour.
NATIONAL MILLS WEEKEND OPENING TIMES 2017
SUNDAY 14TH MAY ONLY, 14.00-16.00.
A Tees Archaeology report states that the Guisborough Co-operative Corn Milling Society established the steam powered Mill in 1856.
The arch of a cartway into the mill yard can still be seen on the three story building. The modern 1850 datestone seems to disagree with the 1856 plaque.
A hinge remains from an older door or gate.
I have found reference in the 1883 Co-operative Wholesale Society Annual to the ‘Guisborough Provident Industrial Corn Mill Society’ being established in 1856, registered in May 1863 and dissolved in 1871
Building work in Guisborough briefly revealed stonework from the original route of the Cleveland Railway which opened in 1861Â as a freight lineÂ for the local ironstone mines, the original route continued west over a wooden viaduct and skirted the southern edge of the Eston hills.
In 1865 theÂ Cleveland Railway, Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway and Stockton and Darlington Railway were all taken over by the North Eastern Railway, theÂ routeÂ quickly becameÂ redundant and closed in 1873 after only 12 years of use.
Hutton Hall was built in 1866 for Sir Joseph Whitwell Pease, the son of Joseph Pease one of the key players in the Stockton & Darlington Railway
Pease became first Baronet of Hutton Lowcross and Pinchinthorpe in 1882.
In 1902 a Bank crash forced the Pease family to sell the Hutton Hall estate, this photo is from the sale catalogue
The Hob on the Hill is an iron age burial mound, opened by Canon Atkinson in 1863. It now marks the boundary of the Guisborough, Lockwood and Commondale parishes.
RC 1798 is inscribed on one side, which relates to landowner Robert Chalenor.
The land for the Mechanics Institute was donated by Admiral Chalenor in 1861, the mechanics in question would be the ones associated with the booming local ironstone trade at that time. An 1866 report lists 54 pupils.
Surprisingly this is not a listed building.
A short walk upstream from yesterdays culverts the stream once again passes under the A171
This stretch of the stream between Wileycat Beck and Waterfall Beck is listed as being Alumwork Beck, due to the site of the old alum works immediately to the south on what is now an off-road biking area.
Between the Waterfall Viaduct and the old road bridge the beck goes through an old culvert
It looks like it was constructed from brick after the substantial sandstone wall which supports the embankment on which the railway ran (although that is also being undermined by the water)
Internally the culvert in not in fantastic shape as large chunks of its concreteÂ lining have peeled away.
Passing under the old road bridge the large modern culvert which runs under the A171 can be seen.