Bolckow and Vaughan – World War 1 Roll of Honour

Geotag Icon Show on map

Bolckow and Vaughan created this plaque to commemorate their 670 employees who died in the Great War. It was made by C.F. Mundell and Company, Tees Joinery Works, Marsh Road, Middlesbrough.Each plaque is split up into the works or mine they originated from, zooming in on Flickr will allow you to read every name.
Bolckow and Vaughan - WW1 Roll of Honour
Middlesbrough Office, Middlesbrough Works, South Bank Works
Bolckow and Vaughan - WW1 Roll of Honour
West Auckland Colliery, Shildon Lodge Colliery, Byers Green Colliery, Newfield Colliery, Black Boy Colliery, Auckland Park Colliery
Bolckow and Vaughan - WW1 Roll of Honour
Leasingthorne Colliery, Westerton Colliery, Dean & Chapter Colliery
Bolckow and Vaughan - WW1 Roll of Honour
Newlandside Quarry, Eston Mines, North Skelton Mines, South Skelton Mines, Belmont Mines
Bolckow and Vaughan - WW1 Roll of Honour
The plaque is currently on display at Kirkleatham Museum

Skinningrove Mine Water Treatment

Geotag Icon Show on map

A series of concrete tanks were installed around the year 2000 with high surface area plastic media filtering the mine water, and ochre sludge is collected in the two-metre deep tanks.

Skinningrove Mine Water Treatment

Some of the plastic filters can be seen discarded by the side.

Skinningrove Mine Water Treatment

But the maintenance problems associated with the tanks and media becoming clogged were not initially appreciated and it no longer operates, with the beck still being stained by mine water.

 

Skinningrove Mine Water Treatment

 

Stockton & Darlington Railway Sign, Nunthorpe

Geotag Icon Show on map

Nunthorpe railway station was originally on the Stockton & Darlington Railway Middlesbrough to Guisborough line.
Nunthorpe Railway Station
The line opened in 11 November 1853 as a freight line for the Hutton Ironstone mines near Guisborough.
Nunthorpe Railway Station
The passenger station was not opened until February 1854, all properties on this line owned by the company carried a “B” number

Lingdale Institute 1911

Geotag Icon Show on map

The Lingdale Institute was erected in 1911/12 and cost £1,800.
Lingdale Institute 1911
The cost was mainly covered by mine owners Pease & Partners and contained Reading, Billiard, Games Rooms
Lingdale Institute 1911
It appears the inscription was concreted over at some point, thanks to M Watson for confirming that this happened during the war to help stop the German’s knowing the area they were in if they were shot down for example.

Also a wing on the right has been removed.
ling

Grosmont Ironworks Drawing

Geotag Icon Show on map

Another image from Rev. Atkinsons ‘History of Cleveland Ancient and Modern’ that shows a hugely different scene from today in the village of Grosmont, now known for the steam trains. This shows a heavy industrial scene with blast furnaces for producing iron which remained until 1892.

Grosmont Ironworks

Some pieces of the blast furnaces do still stand in the car-park which I visited back 2010

works