Building work in Guisborough briefly revealed stonework from the original route of the Cleveland Railway which opened in 1861 as a freight line for the local ironstone mines, the original route continued west over a wooden viaduct and skirted the southern edge of the Eston hills.
In 1865 the Cleveland Railway, Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway and Stockton and Darlington Railway were all taken over by the North Eastern Railway, the route quickly became redundant and closed in 1873 after only 12 years of use.
By mid-March the location was lost forever, although this old photo from Guisborough History Notes shows the same abutment
Hutton Hall was built in 1866 for Sir Joseph Whitwell Pease, the son of Joseph Pease one of the key players in the Stockton & Darlington Railway
Pease became first Baronet of Hutton Lowcross and Pinchinthorpe in 1882.
In 1902 a Bank crash forced the Pease family to sell the Hutton Hall estate, this photo is from the sale catalogue
During the Spanish Civil War the Hall was used to house Basque refugee children.
Ceramic tiles were placed on properties owned by the Stockton and Darlington Railway in the late 1850s, early 1860s.
The F-Line ran to Barnard Castle and F10 is Barnard Castle crossing.
The Picton to Battersby Line was constructed 1857/1858 running via Stokesley
Passenger services ended in 1954 with freight continuing between Stokesley and Battersby until 1965.
Presumably it was 12 miles from this point to Picton Junction.
Glaisdale Station was originally known as ‘Beggars Bridge‘ and opened in 1865
Station masters were allowed to operate a coal business, providing to the local area. Often making more money from this than their actual job.
Coal was dropped in from the railway line above, this example being restored in 1986.
Newton Cap Viaduct now carries the main A689 and is not visible from the road or its approaches. There are 11 arches of 60 feet in span, giving a length of 276 yards. Rising 105 feet above the river bed.
Construction started in 1854 with the first freight crossing in 1856.
The line closed in 1968 and became a footpath until the road was diverted onto the viaduct as recently as 1993-95. The Bondgate tunnel also lies buried at the Bishop Auckland end, blocked in 1977.
Thomas Richardson had acquired the Hartlepool Iron Works in 1847 and this bridge lintel is dated 1851. Although it doesnt appear to be structural as the surround bridge is much newer.
A friend at Network Rail informs me there is a 1940 steel deck built from old rails that carries no tracks.
The live line are carried by a modern steel slab deck installed in 1989.
Nunthorpe railway station was originally on the Stockton & Darlington Railway Middlesbrough to Guisborough line.
The line opened in 11 November 1853 as a freight line for the Hutton Ironstone mines near Guisborough.
The passenger station was not opened until February 1854, all properties on this line owned by the company carried a “B” number