This building is a 1910 addition to an 1834 original behind
It looks in excellent condition as it was restored in 2009 having been out of use.
Plans were first made from this church around the turn of the century, as can be seen in this 1900 news clipping. It was actually constructed in 1905 having been designed by G. Baines & Son
There are two heavily eroded sandstone dedication stones, the first seems to relate to a Mr Doggart of Bishop Auckland from 1905.
And a Miss G Davies of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
The church itself is made of red brick and is still in good condition despite sadly being now fortified with barbed wire and metal plates over the windows.
To the rear of the building are two much later dedication stones.
A very clear one from Arthur Graydon, Teesville, July 4th 1934.
And also now eroded badly, ? T. Grassham, ? House Eston, 1934.
Those presumably relate to the later hall at the rear.
St Peters in Commondale was built in 1897/1898 with red bricks from the adjacent brickworks.
The foundation stone was laid on August 11th 1897 by G. Claud Braddell, who appears to have been a trustee of the church land charity. It is in memory of Admiral Thomas Chalenor who died in 1884.
A plaque inside shows the chuch was consecrated on December 7th 1898 and its links to Rev Francis Henry Morgan who was rector from 1862 to 1900
The church contains some more modern looking stained glass.
The name Commondale is said to be derived from Colmandale, St Colman was 3rd Bishop of Lindisfarne.
The Lingdale Jubilee Church dates from 1897 (the year of Queen Victorias Diamond Jubilee)
Most small villages locally have a methodist chapel, the vast majority have closed and been converted to housing.
The foundation stone is partially obscured by later pipes and cable.
It was laid by Mrs Scarth on 20th July 1897, here are details of its opening in November 1897
I have found a further reference with suggest it re-opened in 1957 and closed again in 1964.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel opened in 1875, two years before the Primitive Methodist Chapel over the road.
It became the only Methodist chapel in 1962 and the final service here was in April 2006, led by the Rev Tim Thorpe, minister at Nottingham.
Interestingly the Google Street View images just happened to catch it while it was being converted into housing.