Boundary stone to north of Oakley Walls near Danby, the inscriptions reads “West End of gLaisd (Glaisdale) Township 1736”
EKCO (Eric Kirkham Cole Limited) produced TVs and Radios from 1924 until 1960 although the brand name lived on into the 1970s. This shop on Parliament Road was once an electrical shop.
The advert was revealed by the removal of a billboard around 2016 when it first appears on Google Streetview, it has visibly deteriorated since that point.
A complete copy of the same advert existed in Southamption, but this has since been hidden by a new building.
Originally opened in 1861 as the Cleveland Fire and Brick Company. The Commondale Brick & Pipe Works traded from the late 1880s until 1947. Much of the village is built from their products including Ness Terrace.
On the gable at the railway station end is a buff stone carrying the date 1903 and the letter “N”, perhaps for the name “Ness” if the builder named the Terrace after themselves ?
The plaque funded by the Police Memorial Trust was recently unveiled to commemorate PC William Henderson, who died on 14 April 1893 when he was shot at close range by a man he was trying to disarm while trying to take into custody.
On 9th May, the verdict on John Harry Gould (33) was :- Wilful murder whilst insane. Prisoner to be detained during Her Majesty’s pleasure.
Murders were very rare at this time and news reports suggest it was only the second in Middlesbrough, after Mary Copper in 1884
This mosaic was installed in September 2017 as part of the Skelton Townscape Heritage Project
It was researched, designed and produced by the combined efforts of Skelton Villages Civic Pride, Redcar & Cleveland Council’s Community Development staff, the Skelton History Group, pupils at Skelton Primary School and Community artists Helen Jane Gaunt and Derek Mosey.
Skelton Through The Ages 1086 – 2017
- 1086: The Domesday Book records the manor of Skelton
- Arms of de Brus: Robert de Brus built the first castle in 12th Century
- Skelton Castle: building the present castle began in 1788
- Medieval agriculture: farming was an important part of village life for centuries
- The old Parish Church: built 1785/86 on the foundations of the 13th Century church
- A miner and his lamp: the ironstone mining boom in Skelton began in the 1860s
- The High Street and a new Parish Church followed in the 1870s and 1880s
- A Cleveland Bay horse, England’s oldest breed, pulling a milk cart
- A Swift flying overhead: their screams are a typical sound of summer
- The War Memorial: commemorating the dead of two World Wars
- The Cleveland Way: opened in May 1969
- The Whipping Post: public punishment on the village green
- Ringrose Community Orchard: a new development, the heritage of the future
- Children dance round the Maypole in front of the old Infants’ School
- A sword dancer performing the Long Sword dance
- 2017 – Planted tubs and a new tree reflect the latest changes
This 17th century boundary marker would be a fine addition to Hidden Teesside, if it was there !
Parish meetings in 2008/2009 talks about getting it listed by English Heritage and having a replica made.
Nearly 10 years later there still appears to be a sign but no liberty stone, I can find no further references to it or any photos online, the only one being from the original 2005 news report
Does anyone know what became of it ? Clearly things don’t move quickly in Picton.
This clock and barometer in Staithes commemorate a local tragedy. George Hanson the Runswick Lifeboat Head Launcher died after saving a school boy and attempting to save a man in the harbour at Staithes.
The plaque reads :-
Erected to honour the memory of George Hanson, A Staithes fisherman who lost his life in a gallant attempt to rescue a drowning bather in a rough sea on Wednesday 28th August 1957.
Unveiled by Sir William Worlsey (4th Baronet of Hovingham and amateur first-class cricketer.) and dedicated by the Bishop of Whitby in 1959 (which would have been Philip Wheeldon at the time)