Skinningrove Co-Op

Only a couple of tiny fragments of Skinningrove Co-Op now remain, a tiled doorstep and the very edge of the facade.

Skinningrove Co-op
Tiled doorstep
Skinningrove Co-op
Edge of window arch and tiles wall

It appears the shop was built in 1900 if this news report from the Northern Echo as this news report must refer to them :-

Historic photo of the building from East Cleveland Image Archive

The site stood derelict for over 15 years and was subject to legal dispute with an absentee landlord, falling into disrepair until it was finally demolished in 2015.

Site in disrepair in 2011
A brick with what appears to be an 1897 inscription was recovered from the demolition, this seems to predate the 1900 date of opening, but the build may have taken some time ?

Skinningrove Methodist Chapel

The Methodist chapel in Skinningrove dates from 1873 and is still active today.

Skinningrove Chapel
Skinningrove Chapel

Northern Echo – Wednesday 30 July 1873

PRIMITIVE, METHODIST CHAPEL AT SKINNINGROVE. FOUNDATION STONE LAYING. The ceremony of laying the foundation of a new Primitive Methodist Chapel at Skinningrove took place on Monday. For many years the Primitive Methodists conducted services alone in Skinningrove. When there were little more than a dozen houses they held cottage meetings, and it has had a place on the circuit plan for thirty years. When, through the enterprising firm of the Messrs. Pease, the population had increased to near 1,500, it was felt that this long toil should not be thrown away, but that there should be a fresh effort to meet the spiritual requirements of the population, and a site was generously granted by the late Earl of Zetland, The day being fine, there was a large gathering, and a procession, composed chiefly of working men, sang through the streets. The Rev. W. BAITEY, superintendent, began the service by giving out a hymn. The Rev.J. Wilson, Congregational minister, offered prayer. The Rev. J. G. Binney, from the Theological Institute, recently appointed as second minister, read suitable portions of scripture. The Rev. W. BAITEY, addressing Mr. W. Cockburn, who had kindly consented to lay the stone, remarked that it gave them all pleasure to see Mr. Cockburn in their midst, with his excellent lady, and likewise Mr. Francis. Mr. Cockburn had been permitted, through the providence of God, to aid in laying the foundation of a thriving industry in many village, and memorials of his devising mind would be found when he was gone. Today, he came to aid in laying the foundation of another house of prayer. Mr. Baitey then handed to Mr. Cockburn a bottle to enclose in the stone, and a silver trowel and mallet. The bottle contained a copy of the Primitive Methodist paper the Northern Echo of that day; the .British Workman, having a, portrait of Gurney Pease, Esq.; lines written by Mr. Horsley on the death of Charles Pease, Esq., a Circuit Plan, the names of the Trustees, and Members in Society, letters of Mir. Cockburn and Mr. Francis expressing their readiness to assist in the undertaking, and which, if ever exhumed, which they might be after cenrturies have gone by, all show how worthily the early managers of the firm represented the well. known spirit and principles of the masters. There was also a short record of those who took part in the services, and gratitude expressed to Mr. D. Trotter and Mr. D. Maclean, agents of the Earl of Zetland, for their kind assistance.

Mr Cockburn next deposited upon the stone a cheque for 10 shillings. Mr. J. Tyerman, a working man, and one whose devoutness is known in all the villages round about, laid on the stone the handsome donation of 5 shillings. Numerous other donations were laid on the stone, from two pounds to the child’s sixpence, making a total of over 38 shillings. Nearly 300 sat down to tea in the old School-room. The evening meeting was presided over by Mr. W. Cockburn, who spoke of our intellectual, social, moral, and spiritual duties. Other gentlemen and ministers also addressed the meeting. The total proceeds of the day amounted to about 60 shillings. The building is a Gothic structure. The architect is T. Southron, of South Shields.

Skinningrove Pillbox

This Second World War Pillbox now rests on the beach, just to the north of Skinningrove
Skinningrove Pill Box
It was originally higher up the cliff, but has fallen here due to coastal erosion over the last 70 years.
Skinningrove Pill Box
It actually upside down as the doorway would have been at ground level.
Skinningrove Pill Box

The remains of the metal shutters to cover the firing position are still in place.
Skinningrove Pill Box

Skinningrove Mine Water Treatment

A series of concrete tanks were installed around the year 2000 with high surface area plastic media filtering the mine water, and ochre sludge is collected in the two-metre deep tanks.

Skinningrove Mine Water Treatment

Some of the plastic filters can be seen discarded by the side.

Skinningrove Mine Water Treatment

But the maintenance problems associated with the tanks and media becoming clogged were not initially appreciated and it no longer operates, with the beck still being stained by mine water.


Skinningrove Mine Water Treatment


Current Mining Investigations in Skinningrove – Sunday 14th July 2013 14:00-16:00

Join Simon Chapman, amateur industrial archaeologist, for an exploration of the original mine buildings and structures at what is now the Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum and a tour of the nearby excavation of North Loftus Fan House. Simon, Secretary of the Cleveland Mining Heritage Society, is well known for his publications on the archaeology of the local area and accurate accounts detailing changes in the ironstone mining industry.

Fossils and Fortunes at Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum

Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum in Skinningrove is holding a heritage day event ‘Fossils and Fortunes’ at the Museum on Saturday 6th July 2013. Talks will include Ages Past, Plant Fossils at Marske Quarry, Alum Folk, Ironstone, Maps and Museums- William Smith, the Rotunda Museum and the Geology of the Yorkshire Coast and Protecting your Earth Heritage. Speakers include locally based specialists including Denis Golding of TVRIGS, Mike Windle (NE Yorkshire Geology Trust), Will Watts (Scarborough Museums Trust), John Waring (TVRIGS), Peter Appleton (Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum) and Andy Cooper (TVRIGS). All welcome, but spaces limited booking required.
No formal charge, donations will be invited from the audience.
To book or for further information please contact Jean Banwell to book on 01287 642877 or by email . Sandwich lunches can be ordered in advance.