Erimus was an area of three streets (Erimus Terrace, Pioneer Street and Stainton Street) and a hotel that once stood mid-way between Thornaby and Middlesbrough, it was built to house the workers of the Erimus Ironworks.
The whole area was demolished in 1963 to make way for developments on the railway and is now near the road junction for Teesside Park on the A66.
A war memorial was erected in 1920 at Erimus for the six local men who died in WW1.
Private J R Donnison, 2nd Yorkshire Regt.
Stoker A Wright, H M S Carribean
Stoker J R Sharp, H M S Queen Mary
Private J G Wales, 9th Yorkshire Regt.
Private T Munroe, DLI
Private W Munroe, DLI
The memorial moved to a chapel in Thornaby in 1959 and was moved to it’s current location in the cemetery in 22/7//2006 where it was unveiled by Mayor Pat Large and Ken Craggs.
The original Five Lamps were gas lights built at the junction of George Street and Mandale Road in 1874, comissioned by local Justices of the Peace, Joseph Richardson, William Whitewell, Charles Arthur Head and William Anderson.
A less than inspiring 1970’s electric version.
In 1983 Head Wrightson apprentices erected this replica of the original which stood on Westbury Street due to the building of the A66 (although it doesn’t include the drinking fountain originally below the lamps)
It was unveiled by Mayor Pragnell on 1st September 1983
It carries the Stockton-on-Tees coat of arms with the motto “Forward As One”
Also the Thornaby coat of arms with the motto “Always Advancing”
It was renovated and moved to its current position in 2010.
The origin of the five lamps is linked to the legend that Robert de Thormodbi (Thornaby) created a shrine to the Virgin Mary in St Peter’s Church lit by five lamps.
These buildings are one of the last remaining fragments of the old center of Thornaby that was mostly removed when the A66 was built.
The carved plaque over the doorway is for the ‘Corporation Institute’ the 1890 Bulmers Directory says “A Mechanics’ Institute was erected in 1865, in which are the offices of the Local Board and School Board” so this may be one and the same.
Closer examination of the doorway shows it once had a sign for ‘Auxiliary Fire Station’ the name of which suggests it dates from World War 2
However this old photo shows just the words “Fire Station” and it looks like a fire station existed on George Street soon after the formation of Thornaby on Tees in 1892
Following this link to see a picture of the station in what can be no earlier than 1973, interestingly there still an air-raid siren on top of the building.
This stone marks the crash site of the Mosquito which crashed attempting to land at Thornaby Aerodrome at 11.00hrs on 11th of November 1943.
The crew of two were both killed, a Canadian pilot Alan J F Symes from Rockcliffe, Ontario and navigator Edward Lyon of Ormskirk, Lancanshire.
This set of workshops also sport a 1931 datestone
The large upper windows on this building show its wartime use for drying parachutes