This recent plaque next to the mine site, records the date of the sinking of the first shaft in 1873 until the closure of the mine in 1962
Nova Scotia was the name of the piece of woodland that existed at this location before the mine was built
Right next to the crossroads is a modern recreation of a mine tub.
The following information was provided by Liz Allen
This installation was designed by Groundwork North East(Liz Allen â€“ Senior Landscape Architect) in partnership with Lingdale Liftoff, Lingdale Primary School and Lingdale United Reformed Church. The iron tub and freeze were fabricated by local blacksmith James Godbold(egton). The scheme was also funded by the Neighbourhood Renewal Fund through the Redcar and Cleveland Partnership.