The Zetland Lifeboat Museum is a familiar sight on Redcar Seafront, but it dates from 1877 much later than when the Zetland itself was in service from 1802 – 1864.
This lifeboat station and lifeboat were funded by the philanthopy of Emma Dawson and the United Order of Free Gardeners, the boat being named ‘Emma’ in her honour, it actually operated independantly of the RNLI.
There are several sandstone carvings, all of which are now heavily weathered.
The left stones are the emblem of the United Order of Free Gardeners and the build date 1877, with her intials “ED”
Emma Dawsons family crest is on the right, with ‘WH’ for Weston Hall her home.
Weston Hall (Gordon Hatton) / CC BY-SA 2.0
Emma Dawson died on 29th October 1880, a memorial and stained glass window can be seen in All Saints Church near Weston Hall.
‘This monument was erected by her Redcar Lifeboat crew as a record of their respectful gratitude for the disinterested services, the eminent usefulness, and the long-tried and faithful attachment of their glorified friend.’
The ‘Emma’ was in service from 1877 to 1884 and the building becamethe home of the Zetland in 1907.