The most substantial building on site is the Main Winding House, dated 1872. This housed a steam winding engine which wound cages in the adjacent 384ft deep downcast shaft. The roof of this building was intact until late 1994 when it finally succumbed to the elements.
The largely intactÂ Power House originally housed an air compressor for drilling and haulage, attached to this are a small ambulance room and time office.
The impressiveÂ SchieleÂ fanhouse building also houses the 378ftÂ deep upcast shaft. The different coloured 8ft of bricks at the top of shaft date from its conversion to also be winding shaft as well as ventilation.
Next to the fanhouse is a Secondary Winding House, its construction suggest it was modified for hauling in the upcast shaft and may originally have been used during construction of the downcast shaft which can be seen from the window.
Numerous other ranges of mine buildings still exist, such as a saddlers shop and Provinder House used for preparation of feed for the horses.
Also a Blacksmiths and Joiners workshops.
A substation from the electrification of the site in 1909 is shown below, theÂ base of a chimney, weighbridge, boiler pumpÂ house, horse ginsÂ and a couple of powder magazines are also hidden awayÂ within theÂ site.Â
Please note that the mine site is on private land and the mine managers house approached from Skelton Ellers has been converted into a private residence so should not be visited. That said the path from Back Lane in Skelton is heavily used by dog walkers. A detailed survey of the site can be found in the excellent “Skelton Park Ironstone Mine” by Simon Chapman.