Only the tower of St Germains remains, built inÂ 1160. The church was rebuilt in 1821 but again demolished in 1950 with exception of the Tower.
Captain Cooks father is buried here, he died in 1779 six weeks afterÂ Cook himself, although never knew his sons death.
The current headstone isÂ erected in the memory of James Robinson who was lost as sea in 1904. The grave is also reputed to have been visited by Charles Dickens.