Saltburn Urban District Council has existed since 1894, while Redcar only became a Borough in 1922, so this marker post must have been placed after that date. Neither have existed since the formation of the ‘County Borough of Teesside’ in 1968.
It may have been required to mark the boundary when the Coast Road was first opened in 1923, although this could be a later marker.
This mosaic on New Marske Methodist Church is the work of Helen Jane Gaunt and Derek Mosey, it was unveiled in July 2013 to mark 35 years of the New Marske branch and 120 years of the Girls Brigade worldwide.
The mosaic features the earlier Methodist tin chapel which was destroyed by fire in 1974, at the top left. At the top right is St Thomas Church, with the central image being a horse pulling at ironstone tub from the mines.
The crest at the bottom right with the cross and lamp is the Girls Brigade.
Marske Hall was built for William Pennyman in 1625 and passed around the local nobility such as Lowther, Dundas and Zetland Families.
The last resident was the Dowager Lady Zetland.
The Hall was used the Royal Flying Corp in WW1, the Army in WW2 and also as a private school, before opening as Cheshire Homes in 1963, who ran it as a home for the disabled until 2019 when it passed to the Valorum Care Group.
Cliff House was built as a summer residence by Sir Joseph Pease in 1844. Sir Joseph was heavily involved with establishing the Stockton and Darlington Railway and the Middlesbrough Estate.
This Pease Family involvement in the area predates the opening of the Upleatham Ironstone Mine at New Marske in 1851 and his brother Sir Henry’s historic visit to Saltburn in 1859 after which he developed that resort.
The 1911 census shows 6 members of the Pease Family still in residence with 6 members of staff.
With the closure of the Upleatham Ironstone mine in 1924, the Pease family influence may have decreased and Cliff House passes to the Holiday Fellowship in 1934, several postcards exist of it in that time.
Thomas Arthur Leonard developed outdoor holidays for working people through the Holiday Fellowship. He also helped to establish the Youth Hostels Association and the Ramblers’ Association.
The Holiday Fellowship apparently moved out around 1974 and after a period of dereliction the building became a retirement home in 1981.
This mosaic celebrating the heritage of Marske was unveiled in July 2019.
The mosaic was designed and built collectively by community groups, schoolchildren from Westgarth Primary School and Errington Primary School and artists Helen Jane Gaunt and Derek Mosey. The project was commissioned by local community group Marske in Bloom.
On the 20th past a smuggling Lugger, under Dutch colours, carrying two six-pounders, six four-pounders, a number of swivels, and 30 stout men, each armed with a long pistol and a cutlass, was taken by two of her majesty’s Cutters, as she was rising at anchor near Marske and Saltburn, in Cleveland. When the cutters appeared, the lugger sent off a coble with 80 tubs of gin, (the remainder of 1000) each tub containing from 17 to 20 quarts, towards Marske, which being observed by the headmost cutter, she sent out her long boat, well manned, to seize it, which they did. During the chase, the smuggler fired two pieces of cannon at the long-boat without effect. On seeing the other cutter coming up, all the smugglers, ; except two men and a boy, escaped in their longboats to Saltburn. Had not the smuggler fired on the cutterâ€™s men, she could not have been seized, as no uncustomed goods were found board. The same evening the two cuttersâ€™ sailed with her for Shields, where it is thought she will be condemned. She is a fine new vessel, built Flushing (Vlissingen) by a company of gentlemen, and this was only her second voyage. There was 20 shillings in cash found on board. About two days before she was taken, she was lying off Redcar, she had the impudence to fire a four-pounder at a bathing-house near Coatham, where some young ladies were going to bathe, and the ball was taken by a young gentleman within twenty yards of the house.
On the 23rd past 90 bags of tea, each containing about 12lb were seized at Coatham by some Custom-house officers assisted by about a dozen of the Light horse from Stockton
Thursday 8th November â€“ Errington Woods & Upleatham
Distance: 3Â¾ miles; Ascent 395ft; Duration 3Â½-4 hours We set off at 10:30am from the car park at Errington Woods (NZ 618201). The walk is a circular walk, done in a clockwise direction, mostly on or near a contour level. The heritage will cover the ironstone mine at Upleatham, its association with the mine at Hob Hill, Saltburn, and the village and Hall at Upleatham.
A charge of Â£2 per person will be made on each walk to offset the costs of Insurance. Please wear appropriate footwear and have clothing suitable for the likely weather conditions on that day. It is suggested that you bring food and drink as we usually stop between midday and 1:00pm for a lunch break.
Further details can be had from: firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting Peter Appleton (Tel: 01287 281752)
Its always good to come back to an old favourite subject, I must have driven past this one hundreds of times without ever noticing. So thanks to John Rymer for pointing it out.
This relic of an earlier drainage system in New Marske is now being re-used as a planter for flowers.
Despite being heavily weathered, it appears to say “Rowntree Printers”
I don’t know when they closed, but the ‘CLEVELAND AND TEES-SIDE CRICKET LEAGUE. OFFICIAL HANDBOOK 1948’ was printed byÂ F.A.Rowntree, Jubilee Printing Works, Marske-by-Sea