The Slapewath mine was originally started by Thomas Charlton in 1864 via a drift near the village names after him. The shafts date from a later period of around 1880 when the mine was being operated by Samuelson & Co.
The downcast shaft now surrounded by a high wall is 286 feet deep
The upcast / ventilation shaft is located a little to the NW and is of similar depth.
A sizeable heap of spoil is still on the site, which has been cut by a farm track