The Flaming Stump was an inn that stood on Portrack Lane, by the banks of the Tees. It was rumoured to be heavily involved in smuggling and featured the eloborate ‘Angel Room’ sculpted by a craftsman called Palini
The course of the Tees was shortened and straightened by the Tees Navigation Company and the Portrack Cut was completed in 1831, although the old course of the river is still very apparent on this 1899 map before the area was developed. This change lead to the inn closing and becoming Portrack Grange Farm also shown on the map below.
The buildings were still in existance as late at 1959 before being demolished, fortunately a photograph exists of the Angel Room in 1950