Saltburn Water Tower was built in 1865 and designed by North Eastern Railway Company architect William Peachey who is also responsible for Saltburn Station.
It supplied water to Saltburn with water pumped from Skelton Beck, although its useful life was short-lived until water was piped from Lockwood Beck in 1878.
Railway staff lived in the lower floors of the water tower, but sadly it was demolished and redeveloped in 1905. The distinctive light Pease bricks were reused to build the nearby houses known as “Water Tower Terrace”
This new plaque on Saltburn Stores which marks the location was unveiled on 1st July 2012 by Parish Council leader Paul Smith.