There are two (very dark and dirty) rooms to be explored inside.
Presumably part of the defences of Thornaby Aerodrome, there are two pillboxes in the woodland between Ingleby Barwick and Thornaby.
The second is a short distance to the North-west at the edge of woodland
Not technically a wartime relic as its a fibre glass replica, but a great reminder of the fact the whole of Thornaby is built over Thornaby Aerodrome. The plane was erected in March 2007, one side depicts resident 608 squadron while the other the Canadian Air Force 401 squadron that flew Spitfires from Thornaby during WW2.
There are a number of plaques surrounding the roundabout giving more details on 608 Squadron
A row of three pillboxes surround the western edge of Greatham, they defended RAF Greatham / RAF West Hartlepool.
The Anti Tank Cubes are adjacent to the pillbox, next to the bridge over the stream.
The plaque states built by Commodore Wilson of Ayton Hall in the late 18th century as a shooting shelter in inclement weather. True to its word the weather was extremely inclement when these photos were taken.
Although the recent book Roseberry Topping by the Great Ayton Community Archeology Group suggest none of that may be true.
In the woodland besides Cliff Rigg quarry runs an incline which once connected the Roseberry Ironstone mine to the mainline railway.
The path of the narrow gauge railway can still be seen in the field between the two sites (link)
The remains at the incline top are a brake drum housing and a “kep” which prevented wagons ascending the incline running back down after reaching the top. (Apologies for the dark photos but there was driving rain at the time)
The site was leased by the Leeds Corporation from 1868 to provide street setts, it stretches for about half a mile. In 1883 the lease moved to William Winn
Gribdale Mining Company took over in 1913 and working stopped in 1918
A Geotrail more fully describing the location can be found here
Roseberry Ironstone mine operated under 6 different owners between 1871 and 1926
The earlier workings head north-west underneath the hill are believed to be responsible for the collapse of Roseberry Topping in 1912, giving it the current distinctive shape. The later drifts head north-east under Little Roseberry.
The foundations of numerous building can be identified in the fields