Nunthorpe allegedly gets its name from a group of Cistercian nuns from Hutton Lowcross who settled in Thorp in 1162.
This bench carved by Steve Iredale has recently been installed just outside the village.
A Perambulation is the periodic marking of estate boundaries by the Lord of the Manor, also known as “Beating the bounds”, these events are known to have occurred around Guisborough in 1716, 1738, 1772, 1798 and 1816. It was a major local event with over 200 people on foot and horses taking part in 1716.
Robert Chaloner (RC) passed away in 1842, so the Perambulation of 27th June 1856 was the first by the new Lord of the Manor, Thomas Chalenor (TC) who seems to have taken the occasion to add his initials and the date to many local stones.
This carving is just a short distance north of Percy Rigg
It appears to be virtually identical to the lost boundary stone at Percy Rigg which was apparently destroyed in the 2nd World War.
The other side of the stone is much harder to decipher but the listed building record suggest H.R. and G.A. below the more obvious T