Brusselton Incline

Geotag Icon Show on map

The Brusselton Incline opened in 1825 and consisted of a stationary engine to haul coal wagons 1.5 miles over a hill which was too steep for the early steam engines of the day.

Brusselton Incline
Stone sleepers on the incline

By 1842 the Shildon Tunnel went under the hill making the incline obsolete, it ceased operation in the 1880s.

Brusselton Incline Engine House
Engine House

The Enginemans House carries a “H1” Stockton and Darlington Railway ownership plaque

Brusselton Incline Enginemans House
Enginemans House

The Brusselton Incline Group was formed in 2014 to carry our restoration and maintenance of the site.