St Cuthberts was originally a school donated to the village by Elizabeth Caroline Brown of Ormesby House in 1904, later a community centre it was demolished around 2006-2007.
The new building incorporates the original date stone of the school as well as the original steeple.
What is now a cross outside Ormesby House was once a lamp in Ormesby High Street
The first inscription states :-
“THIS LAMP WAS ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE DIAMOND JUBILEE OF HER MOST GRACIOUS MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA BY ELIZABETH CAROLINE BROWN OF ORMESBY HOUSE AD 1897”
The later inscription states :-
“THE CROSS ERECTED 1967 REPLACES THE LAMP REFERRED TO WHICH WAS DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR WHEN THIS MEMORIAL WAS REMOVED FROM ITS ORIGINAL SITE”
Elizabeth Caroline Brown was a local benefactor responsible for a number of buildings such as the church Lych Gate through which is her impressive grave.