The Temple of Piety was built around 1737 and was originally known as the Temple of Hercules
It overlooks the Moon Pond, below the Octogon Tower.
Estate owner and local MP John Aislabie was involved in the South Sea Bubble, was expelled from the Government and imprisoned in the Tower of London.
The Serpentine Tunnel was built in 1730 for John Aislabie, probably by Robert Doe.
It was designed to give guests a gentle fright on their way up to the Octogon Tower and High Ride.
The Octagon Tower was constructed in the mid 1730’s.It was originally intended to have a spiral staircase inside, but this was never built.
By 1976 it was a virtual ruin until it was restored by the local council.
The Temple of Fame is believed to date from around 1770, built for William Aislabie.
Although it looks like stone, the columns are actually wood and plaster, as a result of this unusual construction it has required frequent renovations in the 1970s, 1987 and 2007.
Fountains Mill was originally constructed in the 12th century by the monks of Fountains Abbey.
At various points in its life it was also a Saw Mill, Dairy and housed wartime refugees.
The mill ground corn all the way until 1927, a Gilkes turbine was installed in 1928 to produce electricity, which still operates today.