Preserving the historical structure is certainly a cause I can fully get behind. Sadly despite the effort of one councillor for many years, certain other members of the council appear to see it as little more than an inconvenience rather than an important piece of local history and an asset which people enjoy.
Myself and other members of the Cleveland Mining Heritage Society also cleared the location of the early Cookes ventilator where we removed undergrowth from the masonery.
As a reward for helping out, we were allowed to look into the drift which is not open to the public.Inside is a hole in the wall which was opened when the museum was first developed, this leads over a flooded shaft. This would have been blocked then ventilation moved to other machinery.
A second short shaft also goes upwards, into the back of the mine recreation part of the museum.
There also a small bypass tunnel, to get you past the machinery when it was in use.
Several difficult to access areas of museum have become overgrown, so myself and some friends volunteered to help. The main area looked at was the Waddle Fan pit which was full of moss and rubbish.
Several members of our group descended into the pit to remove the debris
By the end of the day the pit was scrubbed clean and good for another few years.
Saturday 20th October at 2 pm. at Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, Simon Chapman is giving a talk entitled “Getting the Stone”
Esther Cleveland (September 9, 1893 – June 25, 1980) was the daughter of American president Grover Cleveland, she is the only child of a President to have been born in the White House.
Esther married Captain William Bosanquet in 1918, who became the manager of Skinningrove Iron Works after fighting in the First World War, they lived in Kirkleatham Old Hall which is now a museum.
This 1934 newspaper article from America newspaper pictures her outside the Hall, Esther returned to America in 1966 after the death of her husband and is buried in New Hampshire
Their daughter was the British philosopher Philippa Foot.
This mosaic depicting the merman legend on Skinningroves Riverside Building was unveiled by Mayor Olwyn Peters in March 2012
It was created by the Whitecliffe Primary School children under the supervision of Glynis Johnson
Theres also a nice set of tiles showing a row of local cottages.
This mosaic of a miner and horse was unveiled at the Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum on Wednesday June 22nd 2011.
The mosaic is the work of Derek Mosey & Helen Gaunt with volunteers from the museum, the people of Skinningrove and children from Whitecliffe Primary School. Derek and Helen also made the Skinningrove Story Wall
The jetty was originally constructed between 1882-1887 by the Skinningrove Iron Company. Attempts were made to destroy it in WW2 to prevent it being used as a German landing point, but failed due to its unusual contruction from cement made of molten slag from the blast furnaces.
The jetty is currently in a bad state of disrepair although its still used by local fisherman who occasionally fall in the holes and hurt themselves.