During the summer water often flowed into a natural swallow hole on the bend of the river.
To prevent this a 75m bypass tunnel was built around 1760, but this is now blocked and dry.
The natural limestone can be seen in the base of the tunnel and water heard running below.
The Temple of Piety was built around 1737 and was originally known as the Temple of Hercules
It overlooks the Moon Pond, below the Octogon Tower.
Estate owner and local MP John Aislabie was involved in the South Sea Bubble, was expelled from the Government and imprisoned in the Tower of London.
A details description of all there is to see at Fountains Abbey would take several days to write.
This Cistercian monastery founded in 1132 ran until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539.
It is a Grade 1 Listed building and also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Several buildings around the abbey actually straddle the River Skell
Fountains Mill was originally constructed in the 12th century by the monks of Fountains Abbey.
At various points in its life it was also a Saw Mill, Dairy and housed wartime refugees.
The mill ground corn all the way until 1927, a Gilkes turbine was installed in 1928 to produce electricity, which still operates today.