Ugthorpe Pinfold is thought to date from about 1700, it was used to hold livestock that had strayed from the common pasture and moorland, onto fields or roads. A fine or ‘poundage’ would need to be paid to recover them.
The pinfold was restored as a seating area in 2007 by the Parish Council
The scheme to build Paddy Waddells Railway (or Cleveland Extension Mineral Railway to give its full name) was started in 1872 and intended to connect Kilton Thorpe to the ironworks at Glaisdale. The scheme struggled financially from the outset as the Eskdale mines and furnaces in the South all struggled, whilst iron mining and production became concentrated to the North in Cleveland. After year of inactivity the scheme was finally scrapped in the 1889. Glaisdale Ironworks having already closed by this point anyway.
Many parts of the infrastructure of the line were constructed, even though no trains ever ran.
This bridge was constructed at Rake House in Glaisdale to carry the road over the railway.