Originally opened in 1861 as the Cleveland Fire and Brick Company. The Commondale Brick & Pipe Works traded from the late 1880s until 1947. Much of the village is built from their products including Ness Terrace.
On the gable at the railway station end is a buff stone carrying the date 1903 and the letter “N”, perhaps for the name “Ness” if the builder named the Terrace after themselves ?
What is quite remarkable is that there appears to be a photograph of the plaque actually being made, seen below from the East Cleveland Image Archive.
This walk starts at the National Trust information centre at Ravenscar, where we meet at 10:30am. Cars can be parked along the roadside in Ravenscar. This all-day walk takes us northwards along the old railway track, passing a brick-works and some quarries associated with two alum works (Peak and Stow Brow). We will have a stop for a picnic lunch near Stow Brow quarries. After lunch we walk down the road to the Cleveland Way footpath and follow that back to Ravenscar, calling at the remains of the alum house at Peak. Our final port of call will be the tea rooms at Ravenscar, for some well-earned refreshment.
A charge of £2 per person will be made on each walk to offset the costs of Insurance. Please wear appropriate footwear and have clothing suitable for the likely weather conditions on that day. On the longer walks, it is suggested that you bring food and drink as we usually stop between midday and 1:00pm for a lunch break.
Further details can be had from: email@example.com or by contacting Peter Appleton (Tel: 01287 281752)