Ayton Monument was worked for 23 years between 1908 and 1931 by Pease and Partners, the site is now in regular use as a offroad bike circuit.
This beautifully carved stone dates from the building of the main hauler engine house.
An sirocco fan was installed to ventilate the mine in 1919, the date is still visible on the remains of the fanhouse.
At the top of the steep incline up to the site are the foundations of the braking drum.
At the base of the quarter mile long incline which provided a link to the railway is a intact electrical substation for the mine from around 1921.
Ayton Banks was mined by three different companies between 1909 and 1929, it was a small royalty entirely enclosed within Ayton Monument mine.
The most obvious remains are the numerous shale heaps, some with ironwork on top probably from aerial ropeways.
A number of building remains and foundation can be spotted in the dense undergrowth
A very small length of drift is visible at the bottom of a large collapse, but its tricky to reach and also flooded.
About 100m to the south of the drift, iron stained water can be seen emerging from what was presumably a drainage level, this appears to be lined with corrugated iron sheets which have collapsed a few feet in, water can again be seen at the bottom of that collapse.
The bridge into Waterfall Park in Great Ayton is dedicated to five ironstone miners who lost their lives in the First World War.
The under manager George Whitbread worked at Ayton Monument rather than Ayton Banks.
Over the bridge is a cast iron Victorian Urinal, it was originally one of three, it moved here in 1998 from Station Road.
The site was leased by the Leeds Corporation from 1868 to provide street setts, it stretches for about half a mile. In 1883 the lease moved to William Winn
Gribdale Mining Company took over in 1913 and working stopped in 1918
A Geotrail more fully describing the location can be found here