The Hob on the Hill is an iron age burial mound, opened by Canon Atkinson in 1863. It now marks the boundary of the Guisborough, Lockwood and Commondale parishes.
RC 1798 is inscribed on one side, which relates to landowner Robert Chalenor.
Foxrush Farm Community Woodland was only planted in 1997 but is already pretty well established. The farm itself is now owned by Saltburn Animal Rescue Association (SARA). and is also the site of an Iron Age settlement
The carved fox is the work of Steve Iredale back in late 2007, as of 2011 a mosaic map of the area has also appeared, produced by the Redcar Community College
The remain of earthworks surrounding the Iron Age Fort are still very prominent on the ground.
Tees Archaeology have produced an excellent leaflet on the subject here.
The Napoleonic Beacon was built in 1808 as part of a chain to warn of attack.
The actual watchtower appears to have been built and little later around 1819/1820 (thanks to Joan for the additional information), that later became a private residence and was inhabited up until the 1950s.
The view from the top is still spectacular
Stephen Sherlock has been investigating this area for many year, the Street House long cairn was excavated in 1979–1981.
The current excavation started in 2004 has turned up Iron Age, Roman and Anglo Saxon finds, theres a detailed explanation of the site in the May/June issue of British Archaelogy.
The open day on 7th September 2008 was technically cancelled due to weather conditions, but Stephen was kind enough to show those who still came around the remains of a Roman building that has just been uncovered.
UPDATE : The excavations lead to the discovery of the grave of a Saxon Princess, gold artifacts from which can now be seen at Kirkleatham museum
There are five circular hut bases, two of them 28 feet in diameter with paved floors and walls still standing to a height of three courses of stone. Nine saddle querns and the base of one rotary quern were found – The North York Moors Stanhope White 1979
A much better visualisation of the circles is gained by clicking ‘Show on Map’ above to view this site via Google Earth.
There are reports of a well which possible served the settlement down towards the stream in the valley, the site was excavated by Roland S Close and a memorial to him is attached.