This new statue in triibute to local ironstone miners, was unveiled on 6th April 2019 by children from Skelton Primary and Craig Hornby, director of ‘A Century in Stone’
A third set of carved Badgers installed in Brotton in May 2018 by the Brotton Improvement Group. These are opposite the ironstone miners cottages at New Brotton.
This collection of carved doves was erected by the Friends of Redcar Cemetery with the help of a Tesco Bags of Help grant.
This mosaic was installed in September 2017 as part of the Skelton Townscape Heritage Project
It was researched, designed and produced by the combined efforts of Skelton Villages Civic Pride, Redcar & Cleveland Council’s Community Development staff, the Skelton History Group, pupils at Skelton Primary School and Community artists Helen Jane Gaunt and Derek Mosey.
Skelton Through The Ages 1086 – 2017
- 1086: The Domesday Book records the manor of Skelton
- Arms of de Brus: Robert de Brus built the first castle in 12th Century
- Skelton Castle: building the present castle began in 1788
- Medieval agriculture: farming was an important part of village life for centuries
- The old Parish Church: built 1785/86 on the foundations of the 13th Century church
- A miner and his lamp: the ironstone mining boom in Skelton began in the 1860s
- The High Street and a new Parish Church followed in the 1870s and 1880s
- A Cleveland Bay horse, England’s oldest breed, pulling a milk cart
- A Swift flying overhead: their screams are a typical sound of summer
- The War Memorial: commemorating the dead of two World Wars
- The Cleveland Way: opened in May 1969
- The Whipping Post: public punishment on the village green
- Ringrose Community Orchard: a new development, the heritage of the future
- Children dance round the Maypole in front of the old Infants’ School
- A sword dancer performing the Long Sword dance
- 2017 – Planted tubs and a new tree reflect the latest changes
Woollen medals knitted by the Great Ayton Knit and Knatter group are put on the soldier on the day each one was killed, also a minutes silence is held at the village war memorial on the exact centenary of their death.
The project will continue into 2018 by which time all 50 who were killed will have been remembered.
Commander John Robert Francis “Frank” Wild CBE RNVR FRGS was born in Skelton in 1873.
Quoting Wikipedia :-
Frank Wild took part in the following Antarctic expeditions:
In 1901 he was a member of Robert Falcon Scott’s crew as an Able seaman on the Discovery, along with Ernest Shackleton who was then a sub-lieutenant.
He was with Shackleton on the Nimrod Expedition 1908–1909 and was a member of the team that crossed the Ross Barrier and Beardmore Glacier at a record latitude of 88º23’S.
In 1911 he joined Douglas Mawson’s Aurora expedition and was in charge of the western base on the Shackleton Ice Shelf.
He served as Shackleton’s second-in-command on Shackleton’s Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition (1914–1916).
He was second-in-command of the Shackleton–Rowett Expedition (1921–22).
Frank Wild was also awarded the ‘Polar Medal with Four Clasps’
On 29 September 2016 this statue by sculptor William Harling was unveiled in the Ringrose Orchard by Mr Anthony Wharton.
The wave was constructed from local sea glass by Stuart Langley for the 2015 Lumiere Festival in Durham.
The frame was constructed by MIDS, who’s premises it now stands outside.