Smugglers take potshots at Coatham – July 1780

Newcastle Courant – Saturday 05 August 1780

On the 20th past a smuggling Lugger, under Dutch colours, carrying two six-pounders, six four-pounders, a number of swivels, and 30 stout men, each armed with a long pistol and a cutlass, was taken by two of her majesty’s Cutters, as she was rising at anchor near Marske and Saltburn, in Cleveland. When the cutters appeared, the lugger sent off a coble with 80 tubs of gin, (the remainder of 1000) each tub containing from 17 to 20 quarts, towards Marske, which being observed by the headmost cutter, she sent out her long boat, well manned, to seize it, which they did. During the chase, the smuggler fired two pieces of cannon at the long-boat without effect. On seeing the other cutter coming up, all the smugglers, ; except two men and a boy, escaped in their longboats to Saltburn. Had not the smuggler fired on the cutter’s men, she could not have been seized, as no uncustomed goods were found board. The same evening the two cutters’ sailed with her for Shields, where it is thought she will be condemned. She is a fine new vessel, built Flushing (Vlissingen) by a company of gentlemen, and this was only her second voyage. There was 20 shillings in cash found on board. About two days before she was taken, she was lying off Redcar, she had the impudence to fire a four-pounder at a bathing-house near Coatham, where some young ladies were going to bathe, and the ball was taken by a young gentleman within twenty yards of the house.

On the 23rd past 90 bags of tea, each containing about 12lb were seized at Coatham by some Custom-house officers assisted by about a dozen of the Light horse from Stockton

Sunday 22nd July – Smugglers & Seabirds

Skelton History Group

Sunday 22nd July – Smugglers & Seabirds
Distance: 4½ miles; Ascent 1065ft; Duration 3½-4 hours Meet at 10:30am in Cat Nab car park (NZ 668 215) at Saltburn. This is a pay-and-display car park, so have plenty of change with you. Our route takes us past the Ship Inn (one time home of the mastermind behind the local smugglers) onto the cliff-top plateau. Here we complete a circular route using the Cleveland Way National Trail, together with field paths and farm tracks. Heritage along the way includes the Coastguard cottages, a Roman signal station, the Guibal fan house and metal sculptures.
The pace of the walks is leisurely, with regular stops to admire the view (especially when going uphill!) and to hear about the heritage around us.

A charge of £2 per person will be made on each walk to offset the costs of Insurance. Please wear appropriate footwear and have clothing suitable for the likely weather conditions on that day. It is suggested that you bring food and drink as we usually stop between midday and 1:00pm for a lunch break.

Further details can be had from: skeltonhistorygroup@gmail.com or by contacting Peter Appleton (Tel: 01287 281752)

Saltburn Friends Meeting House 1887

This building is currently occupied by the Saltburn Evangelical Church, although it’s 1887 date stone show its earlier incarnation as the Friends Meeting House.
Friends Meeting House Saltburn 1887
It makes sense there would be a Quaker presence in Saltburn due to the influence of Henry Pease. Quaker worship started in Saltburn during 1869, an Allowed Meeting was created in 1873. It became a full Preparative Meeting in 1885 two year before this building, the Meeting closed in 1914.
Friends Meeting House Saltburn 1887
The meeting house actually pre-dated the building of Leven Road as that doesnt exist on early maps.
friends

Saltburn Station Subway

The railway lines at Saltburn originally extended directly into the back of the Zetland Hotel as can be seen in this 1950s photo from the East Cleveland Image Archive.

There used to be a pedestrian subway to get under the lines at the rear of the main station.
Saltburn Station Subway
I recall this as a child (early 80s) but cannot remember exactly when it was filled in although this sign on the wall to “Please Be Tidy” is still visible
Saltburn Station Subway
There is a beam stamped with the date 1865, but it cannot now be seen as the area is within someones private garden.

yogi59 has kindly allowed me to use the following photo which shows the subway being filled and the date stamped beam.

Saltburn Subway being filled in