A third set of carved Badgers installed in Brotton in May 2018 by the Brotton Improvement Group. These are opposite the ironstone miners cottages at New Brotton.
Tuesday 19th March – Skelton In View
Distance: 1½ miles; Ascent 200ft; Duration: 1½-2 hours
Meet at 10:30am at Skelton Methodist Community Church, Castle Grange, Skelton Green. This walk uses country lanes and part of the Cleveland Way to take a broad overview of the wealth and variety of heritage that can be seen in and around Skelton.
A charge of £2 per person will be made on each walk to offset the costs of Insurance. Please wear appropriate footwear and have clothing suitable for the likely weather conditions on that day. On the longer walks, it is suggested that you bring food and drink as we usually stop between midday and 1:00pm for a lunch break.
Further details can be had from: email@example.com or by contacting Peter Appleton (Tel: 01287 281752)
Just at edge of Skelton, on the Guisborough side, stands a water trough, presumably for when people were more likely to arrive in the village by horse.
Rather than being a well, it looks like the troughs were fed from a cistern immediately above on the hillside, which still remains despite being missing a door.
The cistern is currently dry, but a pipe is visible coming in from the wall and a couple of tide-marks can be seen on the stones.
A memorial to Private Tom Dresser was unveiled on 12th May 2017 to mark the centenary of the actions that saw him awarded the Victoria Cross.
The sculptor of the memorial was Brian Alabaster and it stands outside the Dorman Museum.
Tom Dresser was serving as a private in the 7th Battalion The Green Howards in the Battle of Arras and despite being shot twice, conveyed an important message from battalion headquarters to the front line trenches.
As well as the V.C. Tom was presented with a gold watch and 100 guineas by the people of Middlesbrough, he died 9th April 1982 and is buried in Thorntree Cemetery,
A talk on 3D Photogrammetry and Photo Merging using modern digital technology to create three dimensional digital models and time slider photos.
By Adrian Glasser
volunteer with the Land of Iron Project
Friday 8th February 7pm
St. Matthew’s Church, Grosmont
Refreshments provided £3 donation towards funds
The Land of Iron project is a Heritage Lottery Funded project in the North York Moors National Park which is conserving, protecting and promoting the remains of the ironstone mining industry which was active around Rosedale from the mid 1800’s to 1926.
Although the subject matter of the Land of Iron project is from a by-gone era, the project is actively utilizing modern digital technology, including 3D recording of archeological sites and drone and hand-held camera photogrammetry, the process of using digital photographs to reconstruct three dimensional, digital models of objects, buildings and sites. We are currently in the midst’s of what is being called the Fourth Industrial Revolution. Recent digital technological advancements such as the internet, 3D scanning, computer aided design, coding, 3D printing, laser cutting, digital manufacturing, robotics, electronics and microcontrollers are transforming our lives. The Fourth Industrial Revolution is being driven by an explosion of knowledge and information that is readily accessible to virtually everybody to learn how to use these digital technologies to do and make virtually anything. In this talk, I will show, describe and demonstrate some of the Land of Iron projects that are using readily accessible, inexpensive and often free, digital technologies and software. This includes web based ‘time-sliders’ that that allow users to control the transition between original and modern photographs of sites in the Land of Iron project and a fully automated, but simple, motor controlled, geared, cardboard cut-out, photogrammetry turntable that rotates small objects and triggers a camera to capture photographs to reconstruct three dimensional models of artifacts. Although the talk will be of a technical nature, it is intended to appeal to adults and children of all ages and technical abilities. Please, everybody, come along to learn how technology from the Fourth Industrial Revolution is helping us to learn about what went on during the First Industrial Revolution.
St Andrews Mission at Thornaby is still a functioning church, their website states that St.Andrews was a mission station started by the much larger Presbyterian Church in Stockton, originally as a Sunday School. When the Presbyterian Church and the Congregational Church joined together, it became part of the United Reformed Church
The date stone above the building carries the date 1893, it cost about £950 and could seat 200.
One foundation stone was laid by Mrs Bouge of the Manse on October 1st 1892, presumably the wife of Rev. J Bogue
The second stone is heavily eroded and difficult to interpret, but my research shows it to be Mrs G Y Blair who laid the stone. That would be the wife of George Young Blair who managed the Fossick & Hackworth Locomotive Engine Works which he came to own after 1866 as Blair and Co. who manufactured marine engines.
The Northern Echo from Monday 03 October 1892 report on the events in full.
The Stafford Place Methodist Chapel appears to have operated between 1911 and 1965 and had a seating capacity of 300. It cost £800 to build and replaced an 1833 building.
This foundation stone was laid by Charles Arthur Head Esq, Mayor, May 25th 1911. One of the directors of Head, Wrightson, and Co.
The second foundation stone has been badly eroded with only the 1911 at the end visible.
The stone was laid by the Walker family of Scarborough who made a sizeable contribution. Their link is Ambrose Walker who puchase the nearby pottery in
By the roadside at Thornhill Farm, between Commondale and Castleton are a number of roadside gravestones.
The farmer has been erecting memorials to his old dogs with the older stones now being eroded away.
Some of the more modern names are still visible such as Cindy, Raz Pup and Ely
A short branch ran north from Commondale railway station to connect the brickworks to the main railway line.
The brickworks was opened in 1861 by Stokesley printer John Pratt, before passing into the hands of the Crossley family in 1873, who operated it until 1947.
The bridge abutments still stand although the deck of the bridge is gone. The stonework is covered in a number of different masons marks
The bench carries the inscription Richard Baker 1949 – 2016. Richard was lead builder of the Skinningrove bonfire for more than 30 years. A full obituary can be found here
He wrote poetry, so I assume the words on the bench are his own.